Building a gazebo roof can be a complex job that requires every DIYer to put more efforts on it. From figuring the precise angles and cut for hip roof, preparing the materials, and others, you need more careful calculations. However, if you follow the plans below, you can finish the job in shade in no time.
Materials and Tools Needed
The gazebo roof material and tool here is estimated to build a rectangular gazebo.
Building a gazebo roof
- For top ridge: 1 pieces of 2×6 lumber (97 ¾” long) & 2 pieces of 2×4 (77 ¼” long)
- For hip rafters: 4 pieces of 2×4 lumber (110 ½” long) which both ends cut at 28.5º
- For rafters: 4 pieces of 2×4 lumber (32”) & 4 pieces (54 ½”) which both ends cut at 45º
- For rafters: 10 pieces of 2×4 lumber (98”) & 4 pieces (55”) which both ends cut at 34º
- For roofing: 11 pieces of 4×8’ of ¾” tongue and groove plywood
- For roofing felt: 600 sq ft of roofing felt
- For shingles: 600 pieces of asphalt shingles
If you intend to build a gazebo with metal roof, you can replace the asphalt shingles with ribbed panels from steel.
- Tape measure
- Framing square
- Miter saw
- Drill machinery
- Safety Gloves
- Safety Glasses
attach roof panel
Build a gazebo roof
Steps to Build a Gazebo
- Installing the top ridge
- Use miter or circular saw to cut the middle rafters at 45o
- Carefully align the components and check if the top ridge is horizontal.
- Drill pilot holes through the rafters then drive 5” galvanized screws to avoid wood splitting.
- Installing the hip rafters
- Cut both ends of the rafters at 61.5º or make 28.5º cuts using miter or circular saw.
- Cut the top of the rafters at 45º on the middle which creating a triangle.
- Make sure to secure the rafters tightly into place, so it will be rigid enough.
- Installing the intermediate rafters
- Cut the rafters at both ends at 48.5º. Ensure it has cut at the right angle, so it’ll fit perfectly.
- Cut the top of the rafters at 47º to make it fit the hip rafters properly.
- Fit the intermediate rafters on other sides, cut the ends at 57º.
- Place the rafters every 24”. Pre-drill the both ends of the rafters then insert the screw into the hip rafters.
- Make one more cut at 29.5º to the top of small rafters at both ends of front and back roof.
- Build the rest in the same instructions. Align the both ends rafters and drive the screws in the top plates.
- Installing the roofing sheets
- Cut ¾” plywood sheets at the right size.
- Drill pilot holes through the plywood.
- Insert 1 ¼” galvanized screws into the rafters at every 8”.
- Cover and staples the roof with tar paper at every 6”.
- Fitting the trims
- Add 1×4 trims to the end of rafters.
- Align the trims at both ends and lock them with 1 ¼” finishing nails to the rafters.
- Last, install the asphalt shingles.
Follow the general instruction on how to build a gazebo above, so you can finish the job within a week with professional result. Building a gazebo roof alone will take longer, so you better ask for some help especially for hold the components in place.